Skip to main content

My dad is very very ill and I was hoping to travel to my country by the ending of September. I have an ACD that will be

Newark, NJ |

Dismissed and sealed in there anyway I could have the six months shorten to two months or less so that it wouldn't cause a delay in me getting my green card and/ or cause problems if I decide to travel if I do receive my green card?... Please advice me of the steps that should be taken.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You really need to schedule a consultation to review the details of your immigration status and criminal case. Traveling with an open charge is very risky if you are not a permanent resident and its impossible to offer competent advice on such an issue in this forum.


This shortening thing is not an immigration question but that of the NJ criminal law. Sealing does not work for immigration purposes. Dismissal will only work if there was no admission of guild in the process. Talk to an immigration attorney. Good idea.


Did you do the pleadings as part of this process of getting an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I concur with my colleague.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


I do not quite understand all the issues you are facing. A detailed consultation is necessary.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.