Skip to main content

My Dad died this January and had a will My Mom and sister won't let me see the will how can i obtain a copy Son in New Jersey

South Plainfield, NJ |

Just would like to see the will I know I am named in it. My father told me a few years ago.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You would need to have a judge in Middlesex county order them to show it to you or turn over a legal copy. If you live in S.Plainfield, an order to show cause or motion would have to be filed in the Middlesex County Surrogates Court. My office can assist with such matters.


If the Will was probated, then it is on record with the County Surrogate where your father died. There is a minimal search fee for seeing if there is a Will on record. If the Will was probated, you are entitled to get a copy of it from the Surrogate as a child.

If the Will has not been probated, then you can do as the attorney above suggested.

Good luck.

Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing.