Skip to main content

My dad became a citizen 2 monts after i turn 18

Los Angeles, CA |

I was born october the 4th 1981 my father became a citizen on december 1999 right now i'm goin to apply for a citizen ship i saw the form n400 wich states you can apply if your parents became citizen before your 18 birth day I was 18 already does it mean that i don't apply for it or am i a citizen already?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your father had become a U.S. citizen before you turned 18, and you met a couple other requirements, then you could have become a U.S. citizen automatically through him. Given that is not the case, you will have to apply for citizenship on your own.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


I agree with my colleague.

Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


I agree with my colleagues. Unfortunately, you were not under 18.