Skip to main content

My cross street neighbor is going to use heavy equipments to dig trees out from my side of the street. How can I stop them?

Hopkinton, MA |

I live in MA. In front of our house, a section of the road is “not town accepted road”. It is a death end road. The cross street neighbor dug out some plans in my side of road several years ago. Now they want to dig again. I told them No. I do not allow them to dig. They said that they are going to dig anyway. They have heavy equipments. They are going to use them to dig anyway. Do they have the right come to my side of the road to dig? How can I stop them? They want to put a telephone pole on my side of the road and wire electricity lines by themselves. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


GET A LAWYER!!! There is no way to answer this question unless all the facts are on the table. You need an attorney who specializes in land use and zoning to review the boundary lines and easements and determine whether the neighbor has any rights. Even if he has rights, nothing can be done unless all applicable codes and zoning requirements are met. If he doesn't have rights, the attorney needs to determine if a demand letter will be sufficient or if you will need to go to court to get an order barring the activity.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.


Get a lawyer. Nobody can answer this without reviewing the deeds to your property and your neighbor's property.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


You should hire a land-use attorney immediatly. There are things you can do, such as challenging any permits that your neighbor needs to do this project, or reporting them from violations if they don't have permits. However, if they have equipment ready to go anything you do will likely be too little too late if you do not get an attorney to help you get an injunction or take similar action.



They have heavy equipments parking in front of us, a residential zoning all the time, but no permits. They just do what they like to do all the time. I do not think that it is legal to park in residential zoning. I do not have the money to hire a lawyer yet. Thank you very much for your help.

Ryan Vancil Esq

Ryan Vancil Esq


Even without an attorney you might have some effect - its just going to be a lot harder. Go to the City planning department and share your concerns about the project (including the heavy equipment parking), and see if there is anything they are willing/able to do to assist.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer