Skip to main content

My cousins are being neglected and abused by their mother and her boyfriend, what can me and my mother do?

Gilroy, CA |

My cousins are being neglected my their mother and abused by the boyfriend. They ran away from home a few days ago because both of them were drunk and abusing them. They are never fed and my aunt is always partying and the boyfriend does drugs. They ran to my mothers house and cops showed up, my aunt said my mother kidnapped them. She told the cop what is happening and said they couldn't do anythin without proof. What can my mother do? We want them safe they are still so very young

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The simple answer is you can reach out to DSHS/cps. That advice is simple
but the consequences of doing such is not so simple.


Your cousins could be encouraged to reach out to CPS themselves or talk to a trusted teacher or guidance counselor. In most places police officers are mandated reporters of child abuse or neglect. If you and your mother really want CPS involved with your cousins, a call to a ranking officer at the police department should prompt the responding officer to at least report what your mother told him to CPS so that they might begin an investigation.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.


Call CPS as a starter. That is a hit and miss operation.
You might speak to a family law/probate attorney. Any other posible options depend on the ages of the kids.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer