Skip to main content

My cousin used his sisters school metrocard to enter the subway and was giving a slip to appear in court.. Does he need a lawyer

New York, NY |

There was no summons amount on the slip just told to appear in court.

+ Read More

Filed under: Going to court
Attorney answers 5


Yes. He has been charged with a Class A misdemeanor, which is a crime.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Does he need a lawyer?

Yes. He has been charged with a crime. Id the cousin an adult or a juvenile? His sister may lose her school metrocard privilege as well.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.



He is 18

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens


He is charged as an adult and not as a minor. Hire an attorney.


Since he is facing a misdemeanor charge it would be in his best interest to have an attorney handle this matter. This is a serious matter although it may not seem like it.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


Your cousin should not take any chances. He or she faces a misdemeanor charge and his sister could be in trouble too since he used her metrocard. Your cousin should consult with an attorney immediately. An attorney could help avoid a guilty verdict or minimize the damage. Ignoring this could come back and cause more problems later. Find someone experienced with these types of cases.

The Schlitt Law Firm and Carol L. Schlitt provide answers for informational purposes only. If this answer is helpful, please mark the “helpful” button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thank you. We are a plaintiffs-only, personal injury and medical malpractice law firm representing clients in the New York metropolitan area. We offer personal services built on the values of communication, education and responsiveness. Please understand that legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who has a familiarity with the law concerning your question. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you are in the New York metropolitan area, feel free to call us at 1-800-660-1466 or contact our website and I will see if we can help you.


Yes, he should consult with a lawyer.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer