Skip to main content

My cousin molested and attempted to rape me 50 yrs ago. Can I prosecute him after all these years?

Grand Junction, CO |

We lived on a ranch and my cousin molested my brother and I and other family members. He tried to rape me when I was 13 yrs old. I would like to prosecute him after all these years have gone by

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In Colorado, sex offenses against children carry no statute of limitations. However, whether a prosecutor will consider the case provable after all of this time is a separate question. I suggest you make an appointment with an attorney in the juvenile sex crimes unit of your county District Attorney and discuss the state of the evidence that may yet be available.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


Felony sex crimes against children have no limitation period. However, the District Attorney will have to determine if they believe they can prove the guilt of the offender beyond a reasonable doubt. Rape cases have been proven after many years, but it gets harder the more time passes.

You can and should report the crimes to the police and the District Attorney. Then it will be up to them to determine if they can gather enough evidence for a conviction.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.