Skip to main content

My court date was reset to find a lawyer. I was unable to and have to go back to court in the morning. What should I do?

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 4


Go back to court and advise the judge. It's possible the judge could grant you one last continuance.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at


I agree with Attorney Daley and wish to add the following. Our judges up here in PA are generally not very thrilled with a Defendant who is granted time to secure counsel but nonetheless shows up the next time without counsel. I would recommend that you be prepared to explain chapter and verse the steps you have taken to secure counsel and the reason(s) they proved unsuccessful.


Go to court and bring a list of the names and fee quotes you have been given. You will be given another chance to find a lawyer. If you are seemingly indigent, you will need to make the same effort to show the court anyway.

Do NOT be late to court.

Cynthia Henley


The court will probably give you more time to hire an attorney. Or they may let you apply for a court-appointed attorneu.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.