My court date was reset to find a lawyer. I was unable to and have to go back to court in the morning. What should I do?

Houston, TX |

Go back to court and advise the judge. It's possible the judge could grant you one last continuance.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at www.lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

I agree with Attorney Daley and wish to add the following. Our judges up here in PA are generally not very thrilled with a Defendant who is granted time to secure counsel but nonetheless shows up the next time without counsel. I would recommend that you be prepared to explain chapter and verse the steps you have taken to secure counsel and the reason(s) they proved unsuccessful.

Go to court and bring a list of the names and fee quotes you have been given. You will be given another chance to find a lawyer. If you are seemingly indigent, you will need to make the same effort to show the court anyway.

Do NOT be late to court.

Cynthia Henley
713-222-1220

The court will probably give you more time to hire an attorney. Or they may let you apply for a court-appointed attorneu.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.