Skip to main content

My child is 16 she and other gals got in trouble for messing up one of her friend's car what can we do?.

Rockville, MD |

the school principal coerced my daughter for writing a confession. The other gal dad wants $$ for damages furthermore the dad is disparaging our daughter's reputation by spreading bad rumors about our child. No bullying took place at shool whatsoever and here the school got involved.What am i to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hire an attorney. Your daughter either was involved or she wasn't but confessed to it anyway. If your daughter was involved, then her involvement might substantiate what's being said about her. Truth is always an absolute defense in cases of defamation or slander. If your daughter wasn't involved, then you might want to have an attorney write the father a cease and desist letter. You also have this little matter of monetary damages for what was done to the car. Oh, and vandalism or destruction of property could be criminal, too.

The only way to sort through this mess is for you to obtain legal counsel.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


I agree with counsel that it is a good idea to have an attorney on your side.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.


My colleagues are correct. You can either cut this off as early as possible before it gets out of hand, or you can ignore it and hope it blows over. Ignoring it usually makes it worse in Montgomery County, and she might wind up in civil, criminal, and school admin trouble. A competent lawyer now might help.

Reading an answer on the Internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are represented by me when we have both signed a retainer agreement (on paper or electronically) and some money has changed hands. Usually, you will have been asked specific questions about your situation and all potential conflicts of interest will have been resolved. Until then, you have no more right to rely on this answer than if you read it in a novel.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer