Skip to main content

My child turns 18 next month but will be in hight school until 21 how do I modify her child support order ?

Lynnwood, WA |

we where not married had no parenting plan was in place DSHS put the order in place when i was on assistance for a couple of months back in 1999. I never had it changed I got a letter telling me it would end on her 18 birthday unless she was still in school. I provided the proof but was told the wording in the order said it would still end when she was 18.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Based on the limited information above you need to petition to establish child support immediately. If you wait until your child is 18 the court will have no jurisdiction to enter order. You need to see a family law attorney right away.

Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes



thank you very much I am low income this sounds like it will be something I just will not be able to afford to do I was told to get a hold of the king county court facilitator s office and plan on going in as soon as I can but am clue less as to what forms iIneed to file

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer