Skip to main content

My cat was attacted by my neighbours dog can i get them to pay vet bill??

Usk, WA |

my cat had both its back paws punchered by the teeth of my neighbours dog on my property as the dog had no lead on the owner of the dog say mt cat attacked their dog which is rubbish the vet said she would of died if i never got treatment ive sent them a letter but it was sent back to me saying see you in court they were very abusive and racist the police was informed but nothing was done

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you have a vet bill, you can sue in small claims court.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Yes, you can.and you may have a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Contact a lawyer using the Find A Lawyer link.


possibly. contact a local attorney who handles civil litigation. but be mindful that you are probably going to need proof of these allegations


Small claims court.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Your long run on sentence is a bit difficult to understand.It appears from your statement that your neighbors negligently confined their dog and allowed it to run loose, attacking your cat on your property. Do I have that correct? Assuming this is correct, you could sue the owners of the dog in Small Claims Court. Check to see if your local area has a leash law or other statute that may have been violated. Such a violation can be prima facie evidence of the neighbor's negligence and help you prove your case. Depending upon your State common law or statutes, you may have to prove that the neighbor knew that this dog had a tendency to be vicious or show that this dog has previously attacked other animals or people.Some states have abolished this common-law requirement of prior knowledge of dangerousness. You should attempt to ascertain the status of the law in your jurisdiction.

If you can determine whether your neighbor has homeowner's or renters insurance, you should submit your claim to the carrier before going to the expense and aggravation of suing these people.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I am so sorry to hear about the injuries to your cat. You may indeed have a claim against the dog's owner. Important facts include if the dog was trespassing on your property and/or if the dog had a history of attacks. And, as noted, you will need to establish proof: did you witness the attack, for example? Best of luck to you and, again, I am so sorry for you and your cat.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer