Skip to main content

My case has settled and I signed the release how long will it be before I get my check?

Snellville, GA |
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You lawyer can call the insurance company and try to expedite the check, but it should take 30 days or less.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


Your attorney will be best equipped to tell you so you should call him as he will have experience with your adjuster (hopefully you didn't foolishly do this without a lawyer, as claimants without lawyers average settlements that are 70% lower than ones who used a lawyer. If you did that, there's no one who will know the answer).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


If you do not have a lawyer, it should take about one week or less, depending on how far away the check is being issued. If you have a lawyer, he/she must wait on the check from the claim rep, get you to endorse it (or he/she can if they have you power of attorney), then deposit the check in the client trust account, and then wait for the attorney's banker to say it's safe to disburse the funds. It SHOuLD take about two or three weeks if everyone performs their roles promptly and the issuing bank does not stop payment or question the endorsement signatures. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer