Skip to main content

My car was totalled at a stop sign by a drunk driver who took to big of a turn, what can i do?

Lake Havasu City, AZ |

When i was pulling up to the stop sign a nissan mureno took too wide of a turn and damage my car enough to where it isn't driveable anymore. The person who hit me was arrested for extreme dui, no proof of insurance, and for the accident. but what scares me is the accident wasnt my fault at all and it upsets me bc i have no car which i was still doing payments on. but from what i hear since she has no insurance i am not going to get money back to pay for a new vehicle. And i have also been ot the hospital for the whiplash that hurt my back with stiffness and pain. what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I have two big pieces of advice for you. First, contact a personal injury lawyer regarding your injuries and your car damage. Your lawyer can help you with your own insurance company for your injuries, vehicle damages, and a suit against the other driver. Many lawyers work on a contingency basis for these types of cases which means that you would not have to pay any money up front to the attorney.

Second, I would contact the prosecutor handling the DUI case. Many prosecutors will include your damages as part of the criminal judgment/conviction against the DUI defendant.


As an attorney in Arizona, we see this all too often - a uninsured drunk driver causing a collision resulting in property damage and bodily injury.

First, as to the property damage. You may decide to submit the claim to your own insurance carrier, who will likely provide you a rental car (if you have the appropriate coverage) and tender payment for your vehicle less the deductible. If the vehicle is deemed a total loss, you should check and see whether you have GAP insurance coverage, which generally covers the difference between what you owe on the car and what the car is worth.

Now the bodily injury. I agree with Mr. Bingamen, this is where the attorney could assist you greatly. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. The attorney should provide you with a free consultation.

Best of luck.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer