Skip to main content

My car was hit in an hit and run and I only have liability insurance that has uninsured motorist can file a claim

Indianapolis, IN |

I was told that because I do not know who was driving I that not could file a claim. The police report has the name of the owner other car that hit mine.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you were injured, you should hire a personal injury attorney. If you have the other person'd name, why not file a claim against them? If you are saying that you have already determined that the at-fault driver did NOT have insurance, you are correct that you cannot file a claim on your policy. It is not possible for a liability only policy to have uninsured motorist coverage. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may have more coverage than you know. Speak with your agent or your attorney for guidance.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:


If you really do have uninsured motorist coverage you can file a claim, but only under the circumstances you describe if the other car's driver and owner had no insurance. If the police know who owned the car they certainly should know who was driving. You need to call your insurance company and call a personal injury lawyer. If you cannot get the answer about if you have uninsured coverage the lawyer can.


Your best approach is probably to contact an attorney for the purpose of reviewing coverage issues.


Have a local attorney find out definitively what the coverage is.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer