Skip to main content

My car was damaged in an auto accident.

Burbank, CA |

My car was parked at work and was hit by a tractor trailer when he was backing up. He totally tore off my front bumper. Until the insurance companies handle it, can I leagally drive without a front bumper in Burbank, California?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should attempt to get a rental car, and see if your company, or his company will pay for it.


Generally speaking, if your car is deemed to be unsafe for driving on the road, you may be cited. Based on that, I would see about getting a replacement car, at least temporari;y. Depending on your coverage, you may be entitled to reimbursement for rental car expenses. If not, you may want to pursue the matter with the carrier for the tractor-trailer rig. Under CA law, operators of such rigs are required to carry insurance, just the same way you are, so there may be coverage from that carrier for you rental expenses.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


Don't risk it. Get a rental car and drive it until your car is repaired. The adverse insurance company will pay reasonable rental costs.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer