Skip to main content

My business partner abandoned the business can i force him out

San Juan Capistrano, CA |

He has left the business for me to run and keeps draining the bank account for the business

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are many ways to deal with a partner like yours, but the options are very fact specific. You need to talk to an attorney so that he can learn all of the facts and help advise you. Feel free to contact me or other business attorneys who comment on your case for a free consultation.

John Burt

John Burt - - 800-513-6826. Before you contact me read: Information I provide in this forum, and during a free consultation is not legal advice. The information provided is only general information that may or may not apply to you and may or may not be based on current law. I am NOT YOUR attorney until retained by you in writing.



I understand I do have to contact a lawyer but I cant even get him to answer my phone calls and pretty much laughs at me during text messages

John Ryan Charles Burt

John Ryan Charles Burt


I understand how aggravating that can be. Really the way to go about this is to file a suit against him and force him to take you seriously, without that lawsuit, you have no leverage. Take a few minutes to contact me or one of the other attorneys and you can get a lot better idea of what to do next, once the attorney can get all of the facts from you.


You cannot "force him out" but there are ways of keeping him from "draining the bank account", like opening a new bank account. Further, you will need to speak with your CPA about making the correct adjustments for unauthorized and/or unequal draws your co-owner has taken. As my colleague points out, this is very fact specific and the sooner you consult an attorney, the sooner you can restructure matters. You do not disclose the anture of the business (e.g. corporation, LLC, partnership,) or the existance (and contents) of any oral or written agreement(s) between you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


The other attorneys are correct. I would say that your options depend on the nature of your business relationship, i.e., corporation, partnership, limited liability company, the terms of the agreement that governs the business, and the terms of any agreement between you and your partner.

For a free consultation, please call (949) 769-3610. The information presented on this site is not intended as legal advice. Neither receipt of information presented on this site nor any question, answer, message or other electronic communication sent to Jame P. Mascaro or Mascaro Law, A Professional Corporation through this site will create an attorney-client relationship, and no such question, answer, message or other electronic communication will be treated as confidential. No user of this site should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without seeking legal advice from his or her own counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Jame P. Mascaro and Mascaro Law, A Professional Corporation expressly disclaim liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site, or any question, answer, message or other electronic communication exchanged on this site.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer