Skip to main content

My brother passed in New York. and I am not on the account.What do I need to do to withdraw the money & close the bank account?

Las Vegas, NV |

Both of our parents are dead.
We were their only two children.
The money in the bank account is from his lottery winnings.
My brother passed away nine (9) months ago.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


letters testementry. you might need to file a probate, unless the amount involved is small.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


If your brother died without a will a probate will need to be opened in New York so that you can be designated as the special administrator. As the special administrator, you can submit letters of testamentary to the financial institutions to release the funds. You would do well to contact a New York probate attorney to handle the situation.

Good luck.

I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer, so get a second opinion and do not rely exclusively on my answer.