Skip to main content

My brother no longer wants his 1/2 of property we own jointly. Is quitclaim deed best way 4 him 2 sign over his interest to me?

Blairsville, GA |

Property is in Union County, GA. There are no liens, encumbrances, etc. on it. No money will be involved. If not quitclaim deed, what about a warranty deed? Also, is any other paperwork required for this transfer? (I know I need 2 witnesses & notary, & to file/record deed with local clerk's office.) Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will need to consult local real estate counsel for the list of documents necessary to file a deed.

As to the type of deed, as the grantee you always prefer a warranty deed over a quitclaim deed.

Although there may be no liens on the property that you are aware of, it is always advisable to performa title and judgment search to see if your brother has any issues that might affect the property.

I am not a GA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


Based on the information you provided, the Quitclaim Deed should work.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]