Skip to main content

My brother is suing me for unjust enrichment because I have occupied a home we built together and have been unable to sell.

Bellingham, WA |

Began building in 09; Got occupancy in Dec 2010. We both moved in to finish basement and landscaping and avoid taxes from sale. He moved his stuff in but never stayed there. In Jan. 2012 his wife emailed me, explaining that b/c they didn't believe the house would sell that they would be moving in. I agreed. After some living arrangement disputes, they decided to not move in, but to suggest a buyout for either party. They demanded a price. I wanted the final costs after submitting my last expenses. They ignored my request. I finally gave them a price. they ignored my price. they moved his belongings out, refusing to tell me what was going on. A few weeks later I received a letter from their lawyer claiming I was neglecting and/or refusing to sell and he wanted compensation for unjust enrich

+ Read More

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes
Attorney answers 1


Contact the Whatcom County Bar Association and request a referral to an attorney in your area. Given that your brother has retained an attorney, this is not something you should try to defend on your own. Unjust enrichment lawsuits can be complicated, and you should consult with an attorney to evaluate the merits of the potential claim. Good luck.

The information contained herein is not an invitation to create an attorney-client relationship, and transmission and receipt of the information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. While we make every reasonable effort to provide accurate information, the information is not guaranteed to be complete or to reflect the most current legal developments at the time of publication.