Skip to main content

My brother got a ticket in my car, he won't pay. Now what?! Please help.

Woodbridge, NJ |

It's one of those $140 camera light tickets. It has my plates and car pictured. My brother was the one driving my car this night. We got into a huge argument and I ended up pushing him.. Now he's saying he isn't paying. I have car insurance, phone bill, gym membership and other things to pay. I can't really afford to spend an extra $140 right now. What should I do? I would rather he having to deal with it so he can learn his lesson.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You could go to the court date and fight the ticket.


obviously, he knows whether he was driving at the time the photo was taken and therefore responsible for the ticket. Unfortunately, as the owner of the vehicle you are liablity to pay the fine . If you want to go that far, you can always sue your brother in small claims court to recoup the payment; naturally, don't let him ever drive your car again.


Request a hearing on the ticket, attend the hearing, tell the judge your brother was driving, give the authorities his full name, address and telephone number. Then let your brother deal with the consequences.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Even though he is your bother, you shouldn't be putting your hands on him in the midst of an argument. Otherwise you could be facing a simple assault charge for pushing him. Then you'll have a whole new problem on your hands to worry about beyond the $140 ticket. That aside, you should contest the ticket and plead not guilty. Good luck in court.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.


Best bet is to fight the ticket and let the judge know you weren't driving.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


You should consult with a traffic ticket attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer