Skip to main content

My brother died last March, other brother went to Las Vegas and cleaned out apt. Found a lawyer and started the legal process.

Beechgrove, TN |

There was no will my older brother asked through the Vegas lawyer that I receive nothing because I was not close to him and the family. The attorneys office said if I would not sign
The paper to eliminate myself I would receive half. She did the paperwork and sent to my brother in Mi, as of 12/072012 he had not responded. She emailed she would call him and let me know, have heard nothing. Called the office she is not in and the attorney would.n't talk with me. Secretary said she is handling it and I should talk with her? should I be concerned? Is there something I should be doing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have a complex situation and you should speak with a Nevada attorney if you are concerned about where things stand. If your brother is acting as executor, then the attorney represents HIM and may or may not be willing/able, to advise YOU. Without knowing what paperwork was sent to your brother, it is impossible to give you any additional guidance.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Get yourself a lawyer in Las Vegas. Pronto.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



Thank you...would like to know why I need an attorney? Doesn't the law simply state estate should be split between remaining siblings?


I am not sure what you mean by "started the legal process." If an estate has been opened up for your brother that can be found out in a minute by going on line. You should be getting copies of anything filed in court. The lawyer's secretary can't be technically "handling" the estate because she doesn't have a law license, but you might as well find out what she says. And, yes, you should contract a Las Vegas lawyer for a phone consult to determine if you need to have your own lawyer.