Skip to main content

My brother who lived in new york died leaving several guns gifted to his nephews under his will i also live in New York.

Orangeburg, NY |

What I shouldI do as executor. Some of the beneficiaries are under 21.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I'm not sure guns can simply be turned over to someone; they have to be licensed. I suggest you call the gun licensing unit of your local police department.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


As previously answered there can be issues when testamentary gifts include rifles, shotguns and pistols. You need to check local licensing regulations to make sure that this is done correctly. Your local police precinct would be a good first stop. Also keep in mind that shipping weapons is very complicated. You should consult with a local gunshop or gunsmith to discuss the proper way to ship them.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


I assume that if you are appointed by the court as an executor that you have an attorney-if not-you need one. let your attorney advise you through this process.
Many issues to deal with-minors,felons, registration etc.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.