Skip to main content

My boys are 10 and 5. I am moving to another state. Will I be able to have my kids visit me every summer and on some holidays

Spokane, WA |

My soon to be ex wife is not agreeing with this. She is saying only 2 weeks a summer but I would like them all summer and every other thanksgiving and every other christmas. She doesnt think that is healthy for the kids but I know my kids would love to come and see me. I have always been there for them. The only reason I am moving is for work, I have been off and on unemployment for the past three years

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will certainly have some summer vacation time and holidays. It's just a question of how much time and if you and your wife cannot agree, you will need to reach an agreement in mediation before trial or the court will decide for you after trial.


You say soon to be ex wife. When is your trial date? You state you and your wife do not agree re: the parenting plan so I take it there's gonna be a trial to resolve the dispute? What about mediation? I recommend you confer with an experienced divorce attorney in your area a.s.a.p. about all this.

Jack Berner

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Typically, you would have more time than what your wife is thinking, plus the ability to visit if you are able to make it back to Spokane. I would start with asking for most of summer, and the three day holidays during school year, all of spring break and half of winter. Good luck. - Glenn

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer