My boyfriend was recently arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

Austin, TX |

If given permission by my boyfriend to talk to his court appointed attorney, can I just call his attorney up on the phone and talk to him. Do court appointed attorney's have fees for consultations. How often do attorney's visit inmates in jail. Once a week or does it just depend on the attorney himself.

If given permission by my boyfriend to talk to his court appointed attorney, can I just call his attorney up on the phone and talk to him.

Deepali Meenu Walters

Deepali Meenu Walters

If given permission by my boyfriend to talk to his court appointed attorney, can I just call his attorney up on the phone and talk to him. Yes, if they are willing to talk to you. Do court appointed attorney's have fees for consultations. No, they are not allowed to charge you and also the court. How often do attorney's visit inmates in jail. Once a week or does it just depend on the attorney himself. However often they need to. Once a week is extremely cumbersome, and I don't know anyone who would do that. We all have dozens of cases, not just one. I have clients I see once a month or two, or only when I have to talk to them. I see everyone initially but after that, only on an as-needed basis or if they write me and ask me to come see them.

Deepali Meenu Walters

Deepali Meenu Walters

Sorry, I don't know what happened. It deleted most of what I'd typed so I had to repost it.

The attorney's obligation is to his client. The attorney may speak with you and he may not (with the boyfriend's permission); being court appointed has nothing to do with whether he will speak with you. Court appointed attorney's are paid by the courts and the courts decide what to pay for the attorney's work in connection with the client's defense (there is usually and adopted fee schedule). There is not a set number of times that an attorney visit's an inmate in jail. Some attorney's make a visit in between court settings but there is no rule on attorney visits. Attorney's usually decide visitation on a case by case basis. In general, attorney's are pretty good at knowing when they need to visit with a client.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

Your bf would need to tell his attorney that it's ok to talk to you, and then it's up to the attorney as to whether she'll talk to you on the phone, or whatever. Some attorneys have a policy that they will talk to only one family member, and that person has to pass the information along. There is no set requirement for visits, other than a court-appointed attorney must have either a visit or a videoconference with the defendant within about 2 weeks.

This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice. Every case is different, and they must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. David N. Smith 812 W. 11th Street, Suite 201 Austin TX 78701 (512) 457-0100 defenseattorneysmith.com

Court appointed or not, if the boyfriend asks his attorney to speak with you, then they should or will. If he says no, then the attorney won't.

When a person calls me in your situation, I head over to the jail, get permission, and then call (you) back. So it does happen, but every lawyer is different.

Until the Law Office of Robert Keates receives a signed fee agreement along with deposit or payment, there is no legal contract for any type of legal representation, despite any general advice or information found on this site. More at www.lawofficeofrobertkeates.com

You can certainly call your boyfriend's attorney on the phone. Your boyfriend's attorney may or may not be willing to speak with you. Some appointed attorneys are busier than others and some appointed attorneys are more willing to speak with family members or friends of their client. The attorney will only be able to talk to you about information that is public, unless your boyfriend gives his attorney permission to talk about private information (information from the DA's file or from your boyfriend's mouth). How often an attorney will visit his/her incarcerated client will depend on many variables, such as the seriousness of the case, whether there is new information in the case to be passed on to the client, whether, and how urgently, the attorney needs information from the client, how busy the attorney is, etc. Court appointed attorneys now have the ability to conduct video conferences with inmates from their offices.