Skip to main content

My boyfriend took my car and used my credit card to get drugs. I was angry and said he took it without my permission

Easton, MD |

I never pressed charges but did give a trooper a statement. The state pressed charges but he has used my car and credit card in the past without permission. I was just angry at the time so I reported it to police but never pursued charges. What can I do now that he has received 7 charges for unlawful removal of property, taking of motor vehicle, theft less than 1000, steal anothers credit card, credit card less than $500, fraud per identity theft, credit card perosnatn less than $500

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's not your decision on whether to "press charges." The state makes that decision based on things like police reports, etc. At this point there's nothing you can do in relation to his charges. He'll have a chance to defend himself in court, and because of the serious nature of the charges he needs a lawyer asap to protect his rights and ensure he receives a fair trial.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


It is time to find a new man. And the decision to prosecute is not yours.


You were angry..but he'll keep doing this as long as you let him. As my colleague said, it's not your decision to press charges...and find a new man.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.