Skip to main content

My boyfriend owes back child support if we marry will my income be affected or just his?

East Orange, NJ |

he owes back child support. He is still on child support and is having difficulty finding work

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As a general rule, your income will not be affected. If you file a joint tax return and have a refund, that refund can be intercepted for his back child support.

The answer provided is not legal advice but rather a general synopsis of the legal issue raised and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not establish a lawyer-client relationship.


You income will not be affected. For more information, consult a family law practitioner.

*IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. Attorney Murray's response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you have any specific questions concerning a legal issue, you should consult a lawyer. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on a Q&A website such as Avvo. Attorney Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted on Avvo are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. New Jersey residents: NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. The selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Your individual income will not be affected, but does it matter in effect since the whole amount comes out of his? The net effect is the same on your marital income. And as pointed out, some things like income tax refunds will be affected.

This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer