Skip to main content

My boyfriend of 7 yrs & I have 2 kids. In VT I qualify as a domestic partner, would I be responsible for his prior debt?

Burlington, VT |

I am female & have been living with boyfriend for 7 yrs . In VT , opposite sex unmarried couples can qualify for domestic partnership if they meet a few qualifications . We meet most , but would have to get joint bank account . I need health insurance after going without for almost 3 yrs , ( b / c most state Medicare / medicaid ins . require you to include financial info for everyone in a household , in order to qualify . If I included his , I wouldn't qualify , even though he makes good money , he gives fifty five percent to his ex wife & after his bills , his income is pathetic ) . . . But I need health insurance I am wondering if I would be responsible for his debt if I signed into a domestic partnership ? His divorce agent states his alimony & promissory note for second mortgage with his ex . . .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You may want to consult with Vermont Legal Aid about your application for insurance benefits. Vermont does not recognize common-law marriage and domestic partnerships are things usually talked about by private industry which is sometimes willing to recognize a long-standing living arrangement between nonmarried people.

You will not become responsible for your cohabitor's debts unless you somehow sign onto them, which you should not do.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer