Skip to main content

My boyfriend is a registered sex offender for having consensual sex with a girl under the age of 18.

Tallahassee, FL |

He served 3 years in prison and had 4 years probation. In his second year of probation, he failed a drug test and violated. He was sentenced to 8 years and 7 months. This was October 4, 2011. Is there anything a lawyer can do to help reduce his sentence or anything?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Florida Criminal Rule 3.800 (c) provides that a court may modify or reduce a sentence after it has been imposed. This would be the 57th day. An attorney can file a motion requesting a reduction but he would need some evidence as to why it should be reduced, preferrably evidence that was not available at the time of the original imposition of this sentence. You should act ASAP if you intend to do anything.

Steven Douglas Knittle

Steven Douglas Knittle


I just re-read your question and realized you stated that he was sentenced in October 2011. That is well outside the time limits for any post-sentence motions or appeals.


It sounds like there is little that can be done almost a year after the fact. However, you should consult with an appellate/post-conviction lawyer so that they can review your boyfriend's case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer