Skip to main content

My boyfriend bought me a cocktail ring for Christmas we have broken up and now he is claiming it was an engagement ring.

Shreveport, LA |

He is claiming he proposed to me ad he never did. The ring is not an engagement ring. Do I have to return it?

+ Read More

Filed under: Marriage
Attorney answers 2


Not if it was a Christmas gift, as you said. If it truly was an engagement ring, you would have to return it when you called off the wedding. Otherwise, anything given to you as a gift is yours to keep.


It sounds like you have a dispute that may be headed to court. You should ask yourself whether you can afford to hire an attorney to fight the issue if he sues, or can you competently defend yourself if you can't hire an attorney and he does? No disrespect intended, but if suit is filed, THE COURT will end up deciding if the ring is an engagement ring, NOT YOU. Generally, Louisiana law provides that an engagement ring is given on the condition of a marriage actually occurring. If the condition is not fulfilled, the engagement ring must be returned because the ring is "consideration" for a contract that was never fulfilled. If the ring was not given in contemplation, but was a token of his care for you, then the court may view the gift as a donation where ownership was transferred at the time you actually received the ring. I am sure there are facts which you and he will disagree on that will make the legal issues more murky.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is made available by the lawyer or law firm for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the legal services you may need, not to provide legal advice. No representation of accuracy is made about the information presented in this answer. There is no attorney client relationship between you and us. This law firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this answer in a state where this site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. This answer should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer