My boss suddenly fired a co-worker and now says that it's a violation of the law if co-workers discuss the firing.

Palmer, MA |

The employee shared a portion of her dismissal letter with the remaining staff, but my boss is implying that any discussion of the person or the firing is illegal.

No such general law. I have no idea what the basis of the assertion

NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

In compliance with the law and our personnel policy, Ms. ABC's departure is not to be discussed with other employees, patrons, board members, or the community at large. Is the wording that was used. I feel the director is trying to intimidate us with this wording.

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) gives employees the right to talk with each other about the terms and conditions of their employment. In other words, it is illegal for your employer to try to intimidate you to not talk about the situation. The National Labor Relations Board enforces the NLRA. I've posted a link to the NLRB's Boston office below.

http://www.nlrb.gov/region/boston

My answers to questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information only, and are not intended to be legal advice. Employment law issues typically require a careful case-by-case analysis. Consequently, if you feel that you need legal advice, I would encourage you to consult in person with an employment attorney in your area.

I believe your employer is overreaching.

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on generalized Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. If you would like an attorney with Vaughn-Martel Law to review your specific situation and provide you with legal options or information specific to you, you may schedule a telephone or office by calling 617-357-4898 or visiting us at www.vaughnmartel.com. Our office charges $100.00 for a consultation, and applies your consultation fee to your first bill if the Firm is hired to perform further work.