Skip to main content

My boss has cut my hours because he thinks I went to the department of labor on him. What can I do, he even admitted to it.

Memphis, TN |

We were investigated by the department of labor. It was proven that he owed money, and I received some of it. Now he cut me down to 16 hours a week.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This sounds like it could be either of two issues or both. First it could be an adverse employment action or second it could be a retaliatory action or it could be both. You need to consult an employment law attorney to discuss all the details of this problem. Good luck.


That is common law retaliation. It doesn't get much clearer than that in terms of a viable cause of action in the field of employment law.

How much money are you losing because of this? That is the biggest question as you decide whether or not you wish to sue your employer.

Jason Barnette
Barnette Law Offices
309 Hollow Tree Court
Nashville, Tennessee 37221

I am not your attorney nor is any answer I may provide legal advice. You may contact me directly for legal advice only if you are a resident of Tennessee insofar as I only practice in Tennessee.


This is retaliatory discharge for which you should contact a lawyer and sue.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer