My bf tried to leave the country forever while on probation and got caught at the airport!

Aurora, CO |

My bf tried to leave the country forever and bought a one way ticket to Egypt while on probation,he decided to leave the US forever and come to me in Egypt after lots of frustration with probation issues.(one day before trying to leave,his PO asked him to bring his passport but my bf insisted to leave) He lives in Aurora,CO. and was stopped at the airport in Denver international airport.they arrested him and is put in Denver county Jail and said that he is going to be transferred to Arapaho County in a day or 2!!
What should we do ?

Your boyfriend needs to hire a good attorney. He is unlikely to get his passport back until his criminal problems are resolved.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Is he going to be sent to prison?

is it possible that his sister can bond him?or pay a bail until court time?

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

He might be able to post bond, although it will be substantially more difficult given that he was arrested at the airport while fleeing. You can expect a much higher bond as a result. He really needs a good lawyer to represent him.

They asked for 250,000 $ sigh..thats impossible to be paid! is that means hes going to get also a very severe punishment??

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Even through a bondsman it would require at least 10% to post. It is a reflection of how serious a flight risk the court believes he is, it may or may not reflect the seriousness of the potential punishment.

Can we ask for reduction?is it possible?

You should hire a lawyer to help him. By attempting to leave the country he may be charged with a bond violation or worse. He has also violated his probation terms. This is not something you can do on your own.

I believe that both the other two attorneys are correct: that you should not handle this on your own and that your boy friend (or someone on his behalf) should contact a Colorado defense attorney as quickly as possible. But also I think given the circumstances, I would add that he should consider contacting someone from the Egyptian embassy or consulate. Politically speaking, you yourself are more in a position to determine if there is any downside to doing this. Certainly I have seen foreign consulates being helpful in defense of their citizens abroad, but every country is different. Given the fluid nature of events in your country, this tip may be unwise or unhelpful. It has been my experience however that many foreigners who could benefit from the assistance of their government in the U.S. court systems fail to alert their government that they have been arrested. I have attached links to the Egyptian embassy in the U.S. below.

The proceeding statement is for your benefit and designed to orient you to seek help more completely; it should not be construed as a complete answer to your legal problem or a substitution for legal advice. Only when an attorney has had the opportunity to fully explore the issues of your case can you truly be advised. By reading my statement you should not infer we have created an attorney client relationship.

My bf is American! the egyptian embassy wouldnt help! Me is egyptian but he purely american!

If he is in custody, he has a right to an attorney (the public defender). If he bonds out of custody, he would have to retain an attorney on his own. Any which way, I would suggest he seek counsel, as he may be looking a jail sentence depending on the charge and whether or not there were any conditions in the plea agreement.