Skip to main content

My attorney is suing me for no payment of legal fee's.

Whittier, CA |

My attorney is suing me for no payment of legal fee's. I am in the process of applying for fee mediation through the Los Angeles Bar. My question is he has already filed a suit and a court date has been set. Do I need to respond to this complaint or can I submit my request for arbitration with the bar and file a notice of stay. He notified me of my right to arbitration on Monday and filed the complaint on Wednesday. Didn't even give me time to respond.

Also, is there a fee to file a notice of stay? and do I need to serve him with the arbitration papers as well as the notice of stay or will the Bar Association handle the service of the arbitration papers.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Do not respond to the complaint. If you do you waive your right to fee arbitration. However you do need to timely file your arbitration request and pay the required fee. The LACB will then notify the attorney of the arbitration and of the attorney’s obligation to notify the court of the stay. See

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



Thanks a million! You saved me...I was about to go to the court house on tuesday.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude


You're welcome. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer