Skip to main content

My asylum case is pending. When can I apply for a temporary work authorization document?

Chicago, IL |

I had an interview one month ago. I used to have F-1 status at that time...Now I decided to quit the school and start working. So, I will probably get expelled from my school within the next couple of weeks, and loose my F-1 status. When can I request a temporary work authorization document while my case is pending?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

after 150 days


I hope you prepared and filed your affirmative asylum claim with a practicing immigration attorney. Statutorily, if the decision is not made within 150 days from your submission you may file for an EAD as an asylee applicant. Please take notice that the initial EAD document for an eligible asylee applicant does not require a filing fee.
However, from your narrative it is not clear how many days elapsed from the submission of your case. One certain way to see whether you have amassed the requisite statutory time to file for an EAD would be to call the USCIS status toll free line at 800-898-7180 and enter your generated A number to obtain that information.
In conclusion, if you are not represented by an immigration counsel with experience in asylum law I suggest you consult with such professional without any delay.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


150 days

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.