Skip to main content

My 20 year old son was picked up for DUI and minor in possession. He blew a .03.

Harrison, AR |

He is under advisement for a prior non alcohol charge when he was 18 and still in high school. He has a 2 year old son and another one the way. Can he get a permit to drive to and from work and be able to take his girl friend to the hospital when she goes into labor and bring the baby home? His court date is during the week she is due. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes. He will need to send in the hearing request form to DFA/Driver Control. At the hearing, they will suspend his driver's license for 120 days but will give him a restricted permit to allow him to drive to school, work, and court. It will be at the discretion of the hearing officer if they allow him to drive for medical purposes.

Note: If his charge is DWI and not DUI the suspension will be for 180 days and he will be required to have an ignition interlock, but will not have any driving restrictions as to time and place.


I'm not sure about the licensing scheme in your state but if is similar to California there will be a zero tolerance policy because he is under 21. There may be a critical need restricted license available to him. Best to contact a local AVVO attorney who can run you through his options. Good luck.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


It sounds like he has a lot going on and hopefully he already has an attorney you can address these questions to. If he does not he should contact one to discuss his options. Good luck.