Skip to main content

My 18 year old son was in a car accident. Should I retain a lawyer?

Colorado Springs, CO |

My son and his girlfriend were in a car accident. The car, registered in his name, was totaled. He was found at fault for the accident. His girlfriend has been in the hospital for several weeks and is expected to require physical therapy over the next 2 or 3 months. I was just informed by my insurance company that the passenger of the car that hit them has retained an attorney. This passenger was taken to the ER and immediatly released after the accident. I have bodily injury coverage of $100k per person and $300k per occurance. My son has no assets. Should I be consulting a lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

Assuming a valid auto insurance policy in force at the time of the accident, your insurance company and its attorneys will presumably handle any claims, provided your son was not an excluded driver under your policy.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.


Yes, consult with local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. Your son's girlfriend should retain an attorney to pursue her claim against your son. Most importantly, notice and cooperate with your insurance company. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Hopefully, your son's car was insured. If so, contact the insurer. If not,
then you should contact an attorney.


Nelson Boyle
*Carter Boyle LLC*
36 Steele Street - #200
Denver, CO 80206
P: (303) 501-1825 | F: (303) 835-7100

Thank you for your confidence in our firm. Your satisfaction and referrals
are the key to our success.

The information contained in this e-mail transmission is confidential and
is protected by applicable law. Any unintended recipient of this message is
prohibited from reading or disclosing the information contained in this
transmission. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please
call (303) 501-1825.

This response is a general answer to your question and is not intended as constituting legal advice or creating a client-attorney relationship. Please read our full disclaimer here:


Report it to your insurance company to resolve. If a lawsuit is filed, the insurance company will provide a lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


If your insurance company can settle the claim without litigation then you will likely not need an attorney. The only damage you will suffer in that case is in the nature of higher insurance rates. If the case results in a lawsuit, your insurance company should provide counsel to defend the insured.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


You should hire an attorney to keep an eye on the defense and if possible, force the insurers to offer their policy limits and settle the case within the policy limits. You do not want a judgment enterred against your son that follows him forever.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold


Just noticed, that you indicated insurance but did not mention if he had any on his car. If he didn't he needs a lawyer desperately.


Your insurance company will get your son a lawyer if he is sued, assuming that he was a permissive driver of your car. If you have any doubts about the lawyer who the issuerinsurer hires for you you can consider asking them to hire you as separate lawyer or hiring your own lawyer yourself.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer