Skip to main content

My 18 year old daughter is pregnant and she's seeking public assistance. She doesn't live with me do i have to pay child support

Plainfield, NJ |
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Under the law in New Jersey, there are several circumstances under which a child may be considered "emancipated." Once a child becomes emancipated, a parent is no longer obligated by law to provide support to that child. One scenario under which a child may be considered emacipated when they have a child of their own, as seems to be the case here, based upon what you've described, it appears that you would not have a legal obligation to provide financial support to your daughter and her child.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I am sorry that your family is going through this. You do not have a legal obligation to help her if she is emancipated and living apart from you, the moral issue is between you and yours. She is blessed to have a child and you are blessed to be a part of that, put it all aside and focus on life and how can anyone put a value on that. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


Thank you for makring my answer helpful, if you have a sec please mark my answer best answer, that would be great.



I'm really happy for her and the baby. However, at this time I'm in no condition to help her financially. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm truly thankful for your time.


She may be emancipated depending upon how she is paying her bills.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer