Skip to main content

Must a California credit union recognize a Georgia Guardianship/Conservatorship?

Valdosta, GA |

I have been named guardian/conservator over my mother who is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. She has lived in Georgia for five years now. The California Credit Union she has been banking with is refusing to recognized the guardian/conservatorship. Can they do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You do not give the complete story, but I assume your mother has no California contacts other than the credit union account. If your mother was conserved by a Georgia court, it seems that California courts are bound to recognize the decree as a valid Sister-State Judgment. The quick answer is that it seems unlikely the credit union has much legal backing for its refusal to recognize the conservatorship.

This is not personal legal advice, but an answer to a hypothetical question from someone I don't know.


I agree with the prior attorney. Under the rules of comity and full faith and credit between states, the state of California and by extension the credit union must recognize the court decision made in GA. You just need to keep talking with them until you get to someone who has the knowledge and experience. Perhaps ask to talk to someone in their legal department.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer