Skip to main content

Municipal Court

Edison, NJ |

I will plead not guilty to a moving violation ticket. I know the violation carries points. Will I get a chance to speak to the prosecutor before I go before the judge? Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Generally, you will get a chance to speak to the municipal prosecutor prior to going before the judge. I never suggest going in without an attorney, but should you choose to do so, be sure to ask the prosecutor if they can give you a reduction in points. If not, then you need to seriously consider hiring an attorney.

║ Anthony Gil, Esq. ║ ║ (215) 840-4704 ║ The answers I provide are not considered legal advice as this forum does not create an attorney client relationship. The short questions in this forum do not allow for full and competent legal advice. I advise you get an attorney in any case where you have contact with the legal system. Feel free to contact me via my website if you would like to have a consultation.


The prosecutors in Edison are great people. The will speak to all pro se defendants. More information is needed to determine if an attorney makes sense. Call with more infromation.


You will get to speak to the prosecutor and he/she may lower your violation to a no point ticket. Depending on how many points you are facing, it may be a good idea to get an attorney to handle your case as an attorney would likely get you a better deal.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.


The Municipal Court system in New Jersey entitles everyone that is charged with a traffic infraction to conference their case with the Municipal Court Prosecutor before appearing before the judge. Take advantage of that opportunity and see if you can resolve your case to your satisfaction with the prosecutor.

Note: For informational purposes only. Seek an in person consultation with an attorney to be informed about all of your rights.