Skip to main content

Mother Inlaw owns house made house payments now getting divorce wants me to sign off what do I do

Defiance, OH |

Wife and I were making house payments, wife mother former husband now deceased bought house put in mother Inlaw name refinanced it so we could pay a lower payment on house now getting divorce and wants me to sign off on house

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The structure of the question is a bit confusing. Is the one asking the question getting a divorce? If so, it sounds like the home has merely been rented from the in-laws for the cost of the monthly note on the house.

In that instance, (and assuming he isn't on the promissory / mortgage note) the husband here would have no actual interest in the home other than some equitable interest if he could prove improvements he made increased the value of the home. It is something for which he may wish to negotiate, but not necessarily bring to a full hearing unless the he has a ton of evidence and the value is incredibly high and the amount owed is incredibly low.

Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Again,should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065


Unfortunately, unless you have a written contract which somehow states that you are the beneficial owner of the house, you do not have a lot of options here. Generally, in divorce court, you can attempt to argue that you have a beneficial interest in the house, and try to attach your mother-in-law as a third-party holding property that is subject to division in the divorce. However, her name is on the title, and many domestic court judges will rule that she holds the beneficial interest in the residence, since her name is on the loan and on the deed. Not a good situation to be in. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.