Skip to main content

Mother getting out of prison.

Columbus, IN |

Mother has been in and out of jail for drugs for many years.She finally went to prison for meth and stealing.Father and step mom have full custody of both children.Mother has only seen children about 10 times maybe less in the past 3 and half years. Will she be able to get custody of children when she gets out?She would be living with her mother who also has been in and out of jail and prison for meth.Are we liable to let her have unsupervised visitation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question has some facts that need to be filled in. Is there currently a custody order in place? If this is not a divorce situation, has paternity been established.? If paternity has not been established, you should file your petition right away. Until paternity is established, you will not be recognized as the legal father. As part of your paternity petition, you can seek an order for custody.

If paternity has been established, and the order states mother has custody, you will need to file a petition to modify custody. i would suggest that you contact an attorney for a full consultation on these issues.

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your specific fact situation. If you would like information specific to your particular fact situation, please feel free to contact me directly.


As a follow-up to my colleague's response: If there is a custody order in place giving Father and Step-mom custody, then Mother would have to petition the court to change the custody arrangement if she wanted to have the kids. That would require a substantial change of circumstances - something that is significantly different about the circumstances of the parents/kids than how things were when the custody order was put into place. The court will try to determine what is in the best interest of the kids when it decides on custody - and the things you have mentioned about Mother, such as her lack of seeing the kids in the past several years, plus her living situation and the things on her record, will certainly be things the court may consider.

Katherine E. Flood
Indianapolis Divorce Attorney

The foregoing is not intended to be specific legal advise, but rather general information. If you require specific legal advise, you should retain a qualified attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer