Skip to main content

Mom died. Sister Health Care Proxy. Mom died in 10 days in her care giving IV meds. Sister refused blood tests. What do I do?

Buffalo, NY |

Sister came in from out of state 20 yrs. Had Mom turn Will to reflect her name only on everything including double house, bank accts, jewelry, etc. She was also Health Care Proxy and took care of Mom when released from Hospital. Sister is very vindictive against me because I am honest and very protective of me talking to Mom alone. Mom refused Medication so sister called Hospice to make all medications in IV form and shot it thru her IV. My Mom was dead in 10 days. Hospice wanted to take Blood Tests for final reading. I was present and told Hospice 3x to take blood tests. Sister REFUSED. She has final say since she is Health Care Proxy and RN. Mom was fine when she first came home.Sister complained losing $ taking care of Mom. Police refuse to invest. Mom cremated. What do I do now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Mom was cremated so evidence is gone.Police didnt help. Im afraid nothing you can do. Perhaps because she was in Hospice nothing could have been done for her and she died without experiencing anymore pain.

Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm


Sorry for your loss. Move on with your life. Hospice is end of life situation.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


As answered in your similar post, "You can, as my colleague suggests, hire counsel to help you seek vengeance on your sister. Your attorney may advise re-contacting the police or filing a lawsuit. Discuss what the costs of the lawsuit might be and how long it would last." It does appear, however, that all evidence may be gone.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.


Probably not much, but contact one of the lawyers above to discuss in detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer