Skip to main content

Missing information/dialogue from reporter's transcripts for appeal?

Los Angeles, CA |

Upon reviewing a reporter's transcript for an appeal, is there anything that can be done if you know that there is missing pertinent dialogue?? In other words is there a way to amend the reporter's transcript?? Citations would be useful. Thanks!

+ Read More

Filed under: Appeals
Attorney answers 3


California's licensing agency for court reporters is the CA Court Reporters Board. Where the consumer/litigant believes that a transcript of court or legal proceedings certified by a licensed CSR is defective, there are only very limited processes available to attempt redress.

If you can persuade the court that something is missing and you can establish what is missing, then the court can make an order for amendment or corrections to the transcript. That hardly ever happens because it is very rare that a party can meet the burden to establish what is missing, if anything.But some courts keep very detailed notes and some are even using electronic devices on the bench these days, so if the missing matter is significant, it may be worthwhile to make a request of the court to consider the issue.

You can independently contact the reporter and ask him/her to review the notes and/or audio recordings. You can also contact the California certifying agency -- the Court Reporters Board -- and make a complaint at The Board will investigate, but the nature of the problem defeats most meaningful investigation and enforcement processes. How do you prove what is missing? That anything is missing?

The most promising situation is where the Board has received previous complaints about the same reporter, or where the court will join in the statement that remembered material is not there or is not accurately reported. Even stipulations of defective transcript by multiple or all counsel for the parties will not be of much use in causing any meaningful remedy.

If your objective is to obtain a meaningful remedy, I am sorry to say that it is very unlikely that there will be one.

Christine McCall, License Advocates Law Group

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


You can file at the Court of Appeal a Motion to Correct the Record. There is a rule of court for that, which you can find by reviewing the appellate rules.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.


I agree with both Ms. McCall and Mr. Fox. This is a difficult process. Based on your request for citations, I assume you are pro per. I think you need the assistance of counsel.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer