Misrepresentation by Car Dealer ?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I just bought a new car from an Out-of-state dealer. During our correspondence via email, two particular information were requested by me and they are the period of time the car has been on the lot and its current mileage since it is a 2012 model. Both of which are information I relied on when making my purchase. I was told 4 months and 80 miles respectively. The deal was then carried out under this trust and he delivered the vehicle. After the transaction, I realized that the car has actually been on the lot for 8 months when I discovered the service check in date in the glove compartment. The mileage was also at 210. Do I have a legal case against this dealer and what actions can I take for this injustice.

Filed under: Fraud

It sounds like a clear case for fruad. However, it seems your potential recovery is nuisance level at best.

This answer is for informational purposes only and does not in anyway constitute and/or form an attorney-client relationship.

May I ask what is meant by nuisance level at best?

Michael W. Aitken

Michael W. Aitken

Sure. unless there was a defect in the car itself, the potential damages are difficult to establish. What is the value of the additional 130 miles on the car at the time of sale? It is difficult to discern and prove. Therefore, the best expectation of a settlement would be "nuisance" level damages, which would equal the opposing side's cost of litgation.

I have paid for the vehicle in full via check. Is it against the law if I withdrew the money from the account such that the check would bounce unless I get a satisfactory explanation from the dealer?

Michael W. Aitken

Michael W. Aitken

The better alternative may be to request the dealer for a small refund.