Skip to main content

Military Divorce

Oregon City, OR |

I married my husband at 17 years old, he is the father of my son and a few months after we exchanged vows he found another women and she is having his baby. I have been trying to get a divorce for 6 months now and we have no property or debts together. All we have is our 2 year old son that he barely knows. I do not have an attorney due to the fact I am a part time employee and full time mom. My husband is protected by the government due to being in the marines and wants a divorce but is putting me on this roller coaster because he knows it is all in his timing, and he knows I do not have someone representing me. My If anyone can help me please please call me 503-593-4742

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to be aware of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act and I suggest that you need to speak to local counsel.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.


The previous answer is ridiculous: the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act has absolutely nothing to do with this case. But you *do* need to get a local attorney, full time mom or not, so that you can get the child support any any other benefits to which you are entitled.


I don't quite understand how your husband is "protected" by the Marines. Unless he's deployed, you can go ahead and begin your divorce by filing papers with the court and having your husband served.

Unless your husband is deployed, the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act would be unlikely to delay any new divorce proceedings. Your husband would have to request the delay and prove (somehow) that his military duties would prevent him from obtaining proper representation in court. Coverage under the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act is generally granted only to service members who are on extended deployments or stationed overseas.

From your question, it appears you will need a lawyer to help you. I don't know if there's a court facilitator in Clackamas County or if there's a non-profit legal assistance office in Oregon City, but if there are, call them. If there are other attorneys and programs that provide free or low-cost legal services in your area, you should call them, too. If there's no longer a legal aid program in Oregon City, you might call a few lawyers' offices and ask if they participate in the Modest Means Program, sponsored by the Oregon State Bar. Lawyers who participate may be willing to help you for a fraction of what attorneys would charge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer