Skip to main content

Memorandum of costs and attorney fees after an appeal

Mendocino, CA |

In California if you are going to ask for costs and attorney fees after a case has gone to the appeals court and the case is now over; do you ask for them 40 days after the remittitur is issued back to the trial court or do you ask for them 15 days or 180 days after the Notice of Entry of Judgment at the trial court?

+ Read More

Filed under: Fees Appeals
Attorney answers 2


If you want costs for the appeal, it is 40 days from remittitur under CRC 8.278. If you want costs for trial court it is 15 days after Notice of Entry of Judgment. You can ask for both.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise


Mr. Fink is correct. I would add,that if you are the prevailing (winning) party you are entitled to, and should request, costs of the suit such as filing fees, court reporter fees and service of process costs. Generally, you are not entitled to attorneys fees unless you and the losing party have a contract that allows the prevailing party to recover attorney fees or attorney fee recovery is permitted by a specific statute (law)
Disclaimer: The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. My responses are intended to provide general information about the question posted.

The information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for conferring with or hiring a competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer