Skip to main content

Me and my wife will have AOS interview in February in Chicago.

Elk Grove Village, IL |
Attorney answers 6


Bring as much evidence of your wife's employment status as you can to the interview. You are right that a recent letter from the employer on company letterhead is the best evidence of employment, but you can also bring pay stubs or letters from fellow employees. If you have received a W2 for 2012, you can bring that as well. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


It depends on what you are trying to establish. If this is a marriage-based AOS and you are trying to show income, then pay stubs may be enough, but if you are trying to show something else, like for an employment-based AOS, then you may need a letter. You may want to consult with an attorney directly. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.


We never know what is 'enough' ... a lot depends on the person conducting the interview.

Yes, pay stubs .. ALL of them since you got married and bank statements ... ALL of them since you got married ... are a good start.

Does the employer have a bookkeeper? Maybe he/she can write a simple employment confirmation letter.

Hiring a lawyer is always a good idea.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


The letter from her employer would certainly be very helpful. However, if she cannot acquire one, gather and present any other evidence that can support you case, including but not limited to pay stubs. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.



The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Should be enough. You should consider collecting as much evidence as possible, and may want an attorney at the interview.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer