Skip to main content

Me and my Husband are preparing the paperwork for Immigration. How I should sign the forms?

Montague, MI |

Me and my Husband are preparing the paperwork for Immigration.
We filled the forms with my married last name but we are not sure about how I should sign the forms..... on my married certificate the court said that I should write my new name as married where I supposed to put my signature (we did it).

a. Do I should sign like in my passport as single ?, or
b. Do I should sign with my married name? (new signature), or
c. Do I should write my name with my married last name like in my marriage certificated?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


With whatever is your current signature.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Sign it using your current married signature.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.


Current married name .... for everything.

Get your passport amended.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


There are some facts missing, such as which forms you are trying to complete. It is also unclear whether you are the petitioner (sponsor) or beneficiary. With that being said, whatever name and signature that you will be using, feel free to use that. The immigration officer is well aware that people's names and signatures may change after marriage so you "should" not have a problem. I say "should", because there may be other issues in your file which I am not aware of. So if there is any uncertainty, it is best to contact an attorney to assist you.

This information is for general purposes only based on very limited information. It cannot be relied upon without consulting an attorney who can properly assess your case.



We are filling forms i-130 and form i-485. My husband is the sponsor. Thanks for the response!

Herman Singh Dhade

Herman Singh Dhade


It appears that you are attempting to file a concurrent I130-I485 petitions to lead to permanent residence based on Marriage to a United States citizen (your husband). You will most likely have an interview at the USCIS office in Detroit, Michigan. During this time, the officer will assess both the I-130 and the I-485. Part of the assessment is whether the marriage is "bone fide", which is a legal term meaning in essence, whether the marriage is real or not, according to the Immigration rules. Changing your last name does not really address the issue of whether the marriage is real. The officers, at least in the Detroit area, are more concerned whether you reside together and other factors. A second part is the actual eligibility for permanent residence (I-485). I mention this because identity does form part of this assessment (which relates back to your question about your name and signature). This is only a partial answer. Every case is unique and to preserve your privacy and to ensure I can offer a complete answer, please contact or email me. You can find information on how to contact me by clicking on my profile name. We are also located in Michigan for your convenience.