Skip to main content

Me and my boyfriend were going to get married and try to get his papers that way we have an immigration lawyer but will my recor

Bangor, ME |

i have theft from a store.....taking vehicle without owners co.cent....transportation of a controlled substance...posseaion of drug parafenalia.....nothing violeny and i have done all my time and discharged parole 2 1/2 years ago

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I assume you are a US citizen. As long as he knows about all f your arrests, they are your arrests and should not have an effect on him. Also, make sure you do not have any open warrants because if you do, you may be arrested inside a Federal Building when you go in for his interview. Also, make sure you work with an experienced attorney.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


there are very little restrictions on a US citizen's ability to petition regardless of criminal history on the citizen's part. Speak to an immigration attorney who can best advise you

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Any information provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer under an attorney-client privilege to further receive competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your case. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Mayra Calo at 813-915-1715


Assuming you are a US citizen, unless you have sex crime convictions with a minor, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure there are no open warrants for your arrest, though.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Being a US citizen, then your record should not affect your ability to apply for your husband based on your criminal convictions. As discussed above, your husband should be aware of these convictions. That being said, before you file you should make sure you discuss this matter with an immigration attorney to make sure he is eligible to apply for residency. I hope the above information was useful.

My office is located in Manchester, New Hampshire, serving all of New England & Nationwide.

Good luck,
Enrique F. Mesa, Esq.
Manchester, NH

Phone: 603-296-2222; Email: LawServe - 15 Stark St., Manchester, NH. The information provided is for informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as legal advice or a creation of an attorney/client relationship.