Skip to main content

May I request a copy of my non disclosure, confidential agreement from my former employer and any other agreements I signed?

Salt Lake City, UT |

I was the office manager and payroll manager at my previous company. I handled all these documents but I left so abruptly that I never thought to get a copy of until 1 week later.

I have been offered another position and I want to make sure I don't breach the contract.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Absolutely. In the future, you should get a copy of any contract you sign at the time you sign it.

You may want an attorney to review the agreement to determine whether or not it is enforceable. Sometimes, agreements like these are not enforceable as they are written. An experienced employment attorney would be able to help you determine how the agreement applies to you.

You can search for an attorney on Avvo.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.


As a general rule, both parties to a contract are entitled to copies of that agreement. Go ahead and call your former employer and ask for copies of the agreement(s) you signed.

The answer to your question is not intended as legal advice or counsel. Because of the minimal facts involved in question and answer formats, the answer given serves as only that. No representation is created by the answer and comments given to an individual question. And you are advised to seek legal counsel in your specific area for a more detailed analysis and guidance on your particular situation.


I agree with both posts. You are absolutely entitled to a copy of any agreement you signed, and after reviewing it yourself, if you have any doubts as to whether the agreements can be enforced or whether you might breach them, call an attorney.

Best of luck!

This answer to your question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is not intended as legal advice, but as education regarding the subject matter of your question. It is important for you to remember that small facts or circumstances could significantly alter the answer. If you have further questions or need additional help with details not found here, I suggest you work with an attorney in your area to find a solution best suited for you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer